THE siting of the building serves as an interface between the other adjacent civic structures (Montague shopping center) and the west end clinics. The Intention was to create a structure with a powerful presence. This was achieved by the strong rectangle massing of the building with playful facades. The four facades of the building vary, creating a different experience from different lines of access. While the building seeks a civic presence, a sense of levity is created by the natural light entering the building via the roof, and the center atrium.
The building also seeks to be honest to both the materiality and construction methodology, in so much as the structure and finishing’s are expressed for what they are, without frills, in a functional and practical manner, the predominantly neutral palette of the building materials is off-set by a crisp, vibrant selection of colours to infuse a sense of health & well-being. The limited palette of colours and materials is made dynamic by attention paid to the detailing of the building, the effects of light and the differences in textures, the desired aesthetically pleasing and functional resolution, using light and materiality to create a foreground sense of place- a building which is longlasting, of high quality and offers universal architectural joys that defy the widespread connotations associated with Old settlements.
Areas that were put under consideration during the design stage:
Social development, local economic development, empowerment, non-toxic materials, low embodied energy, local sources, cultural relevance, pollutant and emission control and cleaning, energy saving, transferability, renewable energy sources, waste reduction, responsible resource consumption, minimized ecological footprint.
- SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
- creates a humane and accessible environment that is pedestrian friendly and allows for a diverse user group
- skills transfer through the construction procurement processes c. appropriate technologies and building methods that stimulate job creation d. energy-saving systems in the building are prominently displayed to raise public awareness
- orientation for minimal thermal gain in summer, whilst working with the angles of the sun to provide thermal sinks for storage of the sun’s warmth during winter
- positioned to create optimum internal light quality
- built form is massed to create comfortable and habitable micro-climates through wind and rain shadows that correspond with generous and comfortable building spaces d. building is situated on land that is of no agricultural value.
- ENERGY USE AND EFFICENCY a. energy demand reduced through the implementation of low energy systems (passive ventilation, low energy fittings) b. electricity obtained from on-site renewable energy generation solar energy, complemented by a grid supply d. locally sourced materials to minimise energy expenditure be cause of long-distance transport e. Preference for products that represent relative low embodied energy for construction.
- THERMAL PERFORMANCE
- building is oriented to allow minimum heat gain during summer whilst taking cognisance of seasonal sun angles to provide maximum warmth during winter summer and ensuring optimum internal light quality
- the buildings’ thermal mass ensures that internal temperatures are kept stable through the thermal flywheel effect
- effective and environmentally responsible insulation ensures that internal temperatures remain within a comfortable range.
- façade articulation / screening ensures that the building envelope has minimum exposure to direct The palisades and the gate are made in a random pattern of diagonal steel bars which are meant to sub-consciously echo kraal fencing found in rural areas made of sticks tied together in an irregular pattern. So although modern and sophisticated the building still has links to a cultural and historic past.sunlight, thereby reducing heat gain e. passive ventilation systems ensure that internal temperatures are kept stable with minimal reliance on artificial ventilation systems, thus minimizing energy consumption and maintenance, as well as guaranteeing healthy and comfortable air quality.
- WATER SUPPLY AND USE
- boreholes have been sunk to supply potable water including irrigation
- reduced water demand through water-saving devices such as taps and urinals that electronically sense when to run, and the dualflush Gibbrets system
- storm water run-off is eliminated as much as possible through permeable paving
- WASTE MANAGEMENT
- it is not a secret that motor industry is responsible for a lot of road emissions in urban spaces and during the design stage vertical gardens were incorporated on the building as a way and a gesture towards green building philosophy that helps mitigate and combats carbon emissions and improve Oxygen conversion,
- refuse cages have been put on site to handle solid waste for collection to recycling sites, and designated landfill sites.
- MATERIAL CHOICE
- locally sourced materials to promote local economic growth and reduce transport costs and related emissions
- In the spirit of fulfilling bilateral trade arrangements between governments we also incorporated materials from other suppliers outside our borders where possible.
- the project has witnessed the use of appropriate building technologies and materials that stimulated job creation
- materials that have lower embodied energy and reduced emissions has been used to create healthy environments.
- Dry Wall Partitioning haves been recommended to Reduce requirements for concrete/ brick.
Job Creation is an integral part of the “Breaking New Ground” BNG policy advocated by Government of Zimbabwe in solution of dealing with unemployment. Job creation assists with the Integration of Society. We see this project not only as a for Profit Venture, but also as a vital tool to stimulate upward tendency in the development of the country. We see that at its full extent, this building will become an economical tool or stimulator , within the greater Harare and Zimbabwean Economy. We have thus far witnessed Pre- Construction, and construction job creation, more than 8000 people benefited from this project, we have witnessed employment in the following industries: Bread makers, restaurants, stationary suppliers, telecom industries, fuel suppliers, safety clothing manufactures, brick industry, cement industries, tool and hard ware suppliers, security services, paint manufacturing industries etc. the list is endless, and there will be Post Construction Job Creation as well.
THE CONSULTING TEAM ERC Design Consultants: — Architectural Lead Consultants Chisipo Consultants: – Structural, Civils, Electrical Engineers and Mechanical Engineers. DMJena & Associates: – Quantity Surveyors and Project Managers. According to Mr. Ruswa, “ERC Design Consultants is, an urban design consulting firm that has the express intent to create a rich urban environment through creative engagement in our contemporary urban milieu. our vision is rooted in humanistic values and in finding appropriate roles for construction specialists and urbanism. We are driven by a dynamic, academic and practical team with diverse skills that is used to drive our philosophy of research through design practice. We engage in work that ranges from addressing social and ecological issues to responsibly building in today’s market economy.
We believe that the act of city making is an economic and political exercise and we acknowledge the responsibility we share in making equitable, productive and sustainable urban spaces. In our quest for design excellence, we are sensitive to our clients’ unique requirements and assist them in formulating comprehensive briefs within agreed parameters and budgets All our projects are conducted along sound project management principles with clearly defined deliverables set as strict benchmarkgoals, in accordance with our values of integrity and client service, we ensure delivery within specification and at an agreed cost.”
DMJENA & ASSOCIATES QUANTITY SURVEYORS
P/L According to Mr. Jena, D.M. Jena & Associates Quantity Surveyors (Private) Limited is a registered firm of Quantity Surveyors. The company offers traditional quantity surveying services and project management as well as innovative cost effective alternative procurement methods to the construction industry. Our strength is our ability to adapt and be responsive to current economic environments and offer clients alternative cost-effective construction solutions without compromising on quality, cost and time.
Our objective is to remain the market leader in offering both traditional quantity surveying services, project management and remain focused on providing alternative procurement solutions to meeting clients’ needs. We recognise quality management as a key core value and are consistently striving for product and service excellence, and stakeholder satisfaction to ensure continuous improvement, thereby remaining relevant in the changing dynamics of the economy and enhancing clients’ profitability without compromising on quality, cost and time.
CHISIPO CONSULTANTS (PVT) LTD
According to Pr. Eng. Fumai Bhiza Chisipo Consultants (Pvt) Ltd is a multi-disciplinary firm of consulting engineers established in 1998. The firm offers consultancy services in Civil Engineering, Structural Engineering, Electrical Engineering as well as Mechanical Engineering, which is a onestop shop for engineering services. The firm derives its strength and pride in its well-trained human capital resource, ability to offer economic, durable and strong structures as evidenced by its participation on the M.I.P.F building and many other buildings and infrastructure projects around the country. We value our clients and strive to give the best service in all our engagements. We are proud to have participated on the construction of this prestigious building and we are ever indebted to our client M.I.P.F for affording us such a glorious opportunity to showcase our abilities on this projec